I really loved these petit fours. I loved the contrast between the cake and the jam. It wasn’t too sweet and had a nice coating of fondant on the outside. The marzipan enhanced the almond flavor of the cake. The cake was moist and flavorful and the fondant was sweet and shiny.
Frangipane Cake: Yield: one full sheet tray
18.5 oz granulated sugar
18.5 oz room temperature, unsalted butter
24 oz eggs
8 oz cake flour
- Cream the almond paste and sugar together in a mixer until it resembles sand or something smaller than peas.
- Slowly add the butter.
- Add the eggs one at a time. Make sure to scrape the bowl frequently.
- Sift the cake flour and then add it into the mixture.
- Grease a full sheet tray and cover with parchment paper and then grease again.
- Pour mixture into the tray and smooth out the top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes in a 325F oven or until golden brown.
- Chill in the freezer.
- Flip the cake out onto a cutting board.
- Cut in half.
- Cut each half in half.
- Flip the one quarter of the dough upright so that the top is facing up.
- Spread a thin layer of jam (I used orange) onto the layer.
- Place the other layer on top of the layer with jam.
- Spread another thin layer of jam on top of the final layer. You should have two, two layer cakes.
- Roll out half of the marzipan and flip the cake onto the marzipan.
- Cut the excess marzipan from the sides.
- Flip it over with a large offset spatula.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Dip in fondant. Place onto a cooling rack.
Marzipan: Yield: 300g
120g powdered sugar
120g almond paste
- Paddle all ingredients together in a mixer.
- It should come together.
- Knead on a table until pale.
- Store in an airtight container with plastic wrap and a bag.
Fondant: Yield: ~ 28 oz
24 oz powdered sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
4 oz room temperature water
1 tablespoon almond extract
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and heat until it reaches 98F.
- Dip petit fours.
- Place on a cooling rack.