I was really looking forward to making lemon bars in this lab because I’ve had so many that I wanted to try another type of lemon bar. These bars weren’t bad, but I think that they were too sweet and they needed more lemon juice and zest. They had a very subtle lemon flavor and I think that it needs to be enhanced. I think that instead of the powdered sugar they could have used a lemon glaze. The ones that I make have a glaze and I think it gives them a stronger lemon flavor.
Yield: one half sheet tray
504g bread flour
188g powdered sugar
342 g room temperature, unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer with a paddle.
- Add the flour, vanilla, and salt.
- Mix until it comes together.
- Line a half sheet tray with parchment so that some of the parchment hangs over the edge. Grease.
- Press the dough into the pan.
- Bake in 375F oven for about 20 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
660g granulated sugar
152g bread flour
300g fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
4g lemon zest
- Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl and whisk in the eggs until a paste is formed.
- Add the juice and zest.
- Pour into warm crust and bake in a 325F oven for about 15 minutes until the filling is set.
- Chill and cut into 1 inch by 1 inch squares.
- Dust with a thick coating of powdered sugar.