This pie has a very light and airy filling which has a very subtle strawberry flavor. Most of the strawberry flavor comes from the chopped strawberries that are folding into the filling. Overall, the pie is not very sweet and has a balanced taste between the filling and the pie dough.
1 prebaked pie shell
Directions for the Dough and Baking:
- Roll out one disk of the dough to be an inch larger than the 9 inch pie tin.
- Place the dough in the pie tin and cut the excess dough that hangs over the edge with a bench scraper or scissors.
- Dock the dough with a fork.
- Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Place a coffee filter in the center of the pie tin and make sure that it is pushed all the way towards the edges.
- Fill the filter 3/4 the way full with blind baking beans, rice, or dried beans.
- Bake until the edges of the dough turn a pale white and then remove the beans when the whole pie shell has some color. This whole process takes about 10 minutes.
- Cool the pie shell until ready to use.
The Filling: Yield: filling for one 9 inch pie
10.5 oz frozen strawberries
1.5 oz granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
0.125 oz cornstarch
0.5 oz water
0.125 oz sheet gelatin
0.125 oz lemon juice
- Place the sugar, salt, and 2/3 of the strawberries in a pot and bring to a boil. Chop the remaining strawberries and set aside.
- Make a slurry with the cornstarch and the water.
- Bloom the gelatin in cold water and then ring out when the gelatin is soft and pliable.
- Whisk the slurry into the strawberry mixture when it starts to boil.
- Bring to a second boil and cook for two minutes until thick.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and the gelatin.
- Fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Cool to at least 80F and then fold in the chiffon.
2.5 oz pasteurized egg whites
2 oz granulated sugar
- Wipe the inside of a metal mixing bowl and the whisk with lemon juice.
- Whip the egg whites to soft peak in a stand mixer.
- Slowly add the sugar to the egg whites.
- Fold into the strawberry filling.
- Evenly spread into the prebaked pie shell.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Chantilly Cream: Yield: 17.25 oz
16 oz heavy cream
1 oz powdered sugar
0.25 oz vanilla extract
- Whip all of the ingredients in a stand mixer until medium-stiff peak.
- Set on ice until ready to use.
- Decorate the pie.