This pie is tart and airy. It has a slightly chunky texture due to french meringue or chiffon in the recipe. The meringue could have been more throughly folded into the lemon curd. I wish that the filling was more balanced. It needs more sugar and more lemon zest. I wish that it had a stronger lemon flavor because I love anything lemon.
1 prebaked pie shell
Directions for the Dough and Baking:
- Roll out one disk of the dough to be an inch larger than the 9 inch pie tin.
- Place the dough in the pie tin and cut the excess dough that hangs over the edge with a bench scraper or scissors.
- Dock the dough with a fork.
- Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Place a coffee filter in the center of the pie tin and make sure that it is pushed all the way towards the edges.
- Fill the filter 3/4 the way full with blind baking beans, rice, or dried beans.
- Bake until the edges of the dough turn a pale white and then remove the beans when the whole pie shell has some color. This whole process takes about 10 minutes.
- Cool the pie shell until ready to use.
The Filling: Yield: filling for one 9 inch pie
7 oz water
2.5 oz fresh lemon juice
2 oz granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
1/4 lemon’s worth of zest
1 oz cornstarch
1 oz water
1 oz egg yolks
0.25 oz unsalted butter
- Bring the lemon juice, salt, sugar, and zest to a boil in a pot.
- Make a slurry with the 1 oz of water and the cornstarch. Whisk until there are no lumps.
- Add the egg yolks to the slurry.
- Temper the slurry into the boiling liquid.
- Bring the mixture to a second boil and cook for two minutes. Make sure to whisk constantly.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter.
- Fold in the chiffon immediately after the butter has completely melted.
2.5 oz pasteurized egg whites
1.5 oz granulated sugar
- Wipe the inside of a metal mixing bowl and the whisk with lemon juice.
- Whip the egg whites to soft peak in a stand mixer.
- Slowly add the sugar to the egg whites.
- Fold into the strawberry filling.
- Evenly spread into the prebaked pie shell.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Chantilly Cream: Yield: 17.25 oz
16 oz heavy cream
1 oz powdered sugar
0.25 oz vanilla extract
- Whip all of the ingredients in a stand mixer until medium-stiff peak.
- Set on ice until ready to use.
- Decorate the pie.
Candied Lemon Peels Yield: 1 lemon’s worth of zest candied
1 lemon’s worth of zest
14.1 oz granulated sugar
16 oz cold water
3.5 oz sugar
- Peel the lemon into strips. Make sure that you don’t get any pith.
- Place the strips, 14.1 oz sugar, and the water in a pot.
- Bring to a boil, drain, and repeat two more times.
- The last time make sure to let simmer until the peels are translucent.
- Cool on a sheet of parchment paper and the toss in 3.5 oz sugar.