This pie has a very smooth filling that complements the neutral crust. The pie is very evenly baked and has a very subtle golden hue. The filling is very thick and flavorful. it’s slightly tart due to the lemon juice yet sweet due to the blueberries.
2/3x Basic Pie Dough
Blueberry Pie Filling
The Filling: Yield: filling for one 9 inch pie
1 lb frozen blueberries
7 oz juice from berries
4.5 oz granulated sugar
1.12 oz cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 oz lemon juice
- Defrost the berries.
- Put 3/4 of the juice from the berries in a small pot with the sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Make a slurry with the leftover 1/4 of the juice and the cornstarch.
- Add the nutmeg and lemon juice to the slurry.
- Whisk the slurry into the boiling mixture.
- Cook until the mixture boils again and is thick and translucent.
- Remove from the heat and fold in the berries.
- Cool in the fridge until ready to use. Make sure to cool it in a flat tray covered in plastic wrap.
Directions for the Dough and Baking:
- Roll out one disk of the dough to be an inch larger than the 9 inch pie tin.
- Place the dough in the pie tin and cut the excess dough that hangs over the edge with a bench scraper or scissors.
- Dock and egg wash the dough. Make sure to egg wash the edges of the dough as well.
- Roll out the second disks of pie dough to be a little bit thicker than the first one and it should also be an inch larger than pie tin.
- Create a steam vent in the center of the dough with either a knife or a cookie cutter and set aside.
- Fill the pie shell with the cooled blueberry filling.
- Top with the rolled out disk of dough and tuck the top layer under the bottom layer around the edges.
- Flute the edges together.
- Egg wash the top of the pie and bake in a 375F convection oven.