Banana bread

October 3, 2011 by alex

Thank you for the new apron Ros!

Banana bread won in this past week’s voting. I’m excited because I LOVE banana bread!!! :)

This banana bread is so good toasted with melted butter on top! A great way to start your day. This recipe calls for walnuts, but I ran out and used some pecans too.

3 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped walnut pieces (I only had about 1/4 cup of walnuts when I made this tonight and added 1/2 cup of pecans instead)
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

And if you want a nuttier taste, then add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon or more, of nutmeg.

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Lightly grease a 6×9 loaf pan. Peel and mash your bananas.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, oil, and sour cream, and whisk until smooth.

Add the cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla extract, salt, mashed bananas, and walnuts to the egg mixture and whisk to combine.

Add the flour and stir in.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Remove the loaf and let it cool down for 10 minutes in the pan.

7 Comments »

1. Desirae says:

YAY! FIRST COMMENT!!!

I’ve been thinking about using my bananas from last week to make some bread….I think this is the recipe to follow. I really liked this one! Moist, banana-y, nutty delicious! thank you!!

2. Adam says:

Delicious as always. I think a light dusting of powdered sugar on the top would send this stuff through the roof.

3. maureen says:

The most amazing bread ever!

4. David says:

Hmm, nicely done. This website seems mobile friendly :p

That was some killer banana bread. You know what would have made it even better? If it was carrot cake with some oh so cream cheesy super sweet icing! *slurp!* ! Pleasebake.it!

5. annika says:

Super yummy! Banana bread is my favorite. I have a question. Your bread was a nice dark color… mine is always very light and speckled. At first I thought there must be molasses in it, but no. What’s the trick?

• alex says:

I’m so glad that you liked it. When I made this recipe I used dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar. It also depends on how much cinnamon you put in the batter. The specks could be clumps of sugar. Clumps of sugar just makes it better. :)

6. Stefan says:

Alex, you are talented at keeping your baked goods light. I’ve developed an aversion — maybe even a phobia — to heavy, soggy banana breads, but this one is subtle and not too heavy on the banana. One suggestion: in my opinion, maybe 30% more raisins would have made it even better. The lightness of the banana bread could be a “canvas” for the raisins’ sweetness, texture, and flavor. Of course then the banana bread becomes “banana raisin bread” but I never was good at semantics.